Sunday, November 02, 2008

Conference Day 1 (technically trip day 2)

Well who would have thought my little trip to New Zealand would put me in communications hell. I have my blackberry but for some reason it is SOS only so I can not send text messages or emails. What does a girl who is usually surgically attached to her phone do in such a situation?! Shopping of course!!
After a late arrival last night (v.early morning), I enjoyed a lazy sleep in. Surfacing about 11am I registered (quicker than ALIA, just a booklet and a name tag) then went for a wander down the street. Auckland is obviously not a hub for weekend trading as it was very calm and quiet but a few places were open, I managed to pick up a few early Christmas Prezzies which is a bonus. It was nice just mooching and recognising the places I went with Tom last time I was here.
It was while we were in NZ that I logged onto the Hobsons Bay Website from Devonport Library and found out that they were advertising the role which eventually became mine. If I had not recommended the library to Tom as an internet access point I may never have started working for Hobsons Bay Libraries...SPOOKY.
The conference started at 1.30pm with a traditional Powhiri (welcome ceremony) so far the group is much smaller than ALIA and many seem to know each other, which is a bit intimidating. Have spoken to 3 other delegates so far and have arranged for a little look around Auckland City Library on Monday evening, which is a bit exciting.
Have just left the welcome drinks with my haul of free stuff. Spoke to Chelsea from Bolinda who says there are a few places testing audio downloads in December. All being well she will contact us in the New Year to see what we want/can afford to trial.


0 comments: