Saturday, May 09, 2009

Chermside Library


On the way back to Brisbane Airport I called in at Chermside Library, the staff at Brisbane Square recommended it as an opportunity to see some of their concepts used to refresh an existing building/service.

The branch is co-located in a hub with the aquatic centre and what looked like an RSL Club.







I get excited about refurbs, I like to see a team that can re-invent themselves and re-energise their customers by updating their look. After spotting the funky purple as I neared the car park entrance I spied an equally funky "wrap around" cafe which serviced an outside deck area and an inside cafe.

Inside they have had new paintwork, carpeting and the big feature a new space themed children's area. I was there after school and there was a nice "busy" feel to the branch without it feeling crowded.


No RFID but a bank of self serves and a very compact info desk. The staff were out floor walking and serving customers on the "other" side of the desk, which was great to see.



The signage was in the process of being changed over so was half up half down. The new signage was consistent throughout but for my eyes it was a little small! I actually thought the sign I saw on the floor was new but it was one of the variety of mixed old signage...whoops!!

Also great were what I will call the "gaming lockers" newly installed they didn't have any equipment in them but something I will certainly consider to house our PlayStation's and/ideally Wii's at Altona North.





http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_940

0 comments: