Friday, May 08, 2009

Brisbane Library

Brisbane is the "queen bee" at the moment with its Charlie & the Chocolate Factory automated returns chute.

Sadly 2 people have to watch it at all times just in case it gets blocked. Considering the cost I think having someone watch it kind of defeats the purpose (but I'm probably just jealous!)

No honestly, Brisbane Square really was stunning. The magnitude of the building inside and out is pretty darn wow! and with such a huge main library (over 3 floors) and another 31 branches in the area it is the sort of library service most of us would only read/dream about.

I was amazed to find that without RFID self issue stats are at almost 78% but from watching the customer flow I can see that this has been achieved through a reduced desk space and the effort from staff to get away from the desks and roam the floor - talking to people and helping them.

However as a first time visitor I found it difficult to spot staff, and if I had been using the library and in need of assistance would perhaps have had to loiter near one of the un-staffed desks until someone found me.

The Children's Library was pretty amazing, the feature was a huge mural that was based around a specially commissioned picture book. The youth area was also great and obviously a really inviting space, as in the middle of the afternoon it was full of 20-30 something men gaming or watching sport on the big screen!


I liked the individual AV pods where customers could grab a DVD off the shelf and watch it in the library.

Also ace was the feature display wall and the vending machine containing both snacks and stationery supplies.



My only disappointment other than my unrealistic expectation of seeing a fully independent "transformer" chute was the stock, which for me was fairly traditionally displayed


but I guess if somewhere had everything I wouldn't need to do any research.